Ingredients Needed for Meringue and Plum Tart
For the crust:
1 cup flour
3 ounces of butter
3 tablespoons of vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon cold water
For the topping:
3 egg whites
4 tablespoons of sugar
7 ounces of plums, pitted and halved
4 ounces of dates
How to Make Meringue and Plum Tart
- Add the flour and butter to a bowl. Mix until even using your hands.
- Add the yolk, vanilla sugar, lemon zest, and cold water. Season with salt and mix until you have a dough.
- Line an 8-inch tart pan with the dough. Poke holes into the dough using a fork. Bake for 15 minutes at 350⁰F/175⁰C.
- Add the egg whites to a bowl and start beating them using a hand mixer. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar in the process. Mix until firm. Set aside.
- Fit a date into each plum half. Place the date-filled plum halves cut-side down on the crust. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Top with the egg white mixture and evenly spread it. Bake for 15 minutes at 350⁰F/175⁰C.
When preparing this tart, make your crust buttery and flavor it with lemon zest and vanilla sugar. Top the tart’s fruity filling with a layer of meringue creamy mixture. This makes for a mildly crispy-textured topping, hiding juicy pulpy plums and pleasantly crunchy dates.