Ingredients Needed for Strawberry Sauce Topped Meringues
6 egg whites
1½ cups of sugar
3.5 ounces of frozen strawberries, thawed
3.5 ounces of frozen rhubarb
½ cup double cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
How to Cook Strawberry Sauce Topped Meringues
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F/150 degrees C.
- Put the egg whites in a bowl and beat them with a mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1 cup of sugar (save 3 tablespoons for later use), a tablespoon at a time, and continue to mix until the sugar dissolves.
- Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk on high for 3 mins, until the meringue is glossy, white, and thick.
- Fill the piping bag with the meringue mixture (choose a large French star piping tip).
- Lay a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Hover the piping tip just above the surface of the parchment paper, at a perpendicular angle. Apply pressure to the bag until the filling begins to flow out. When you’re done piping a shape and are ready to move on to the next, stop applying pressure and lift up the tip. Reposition and start piping the next shape. Make 6 large meringues.
- Bake them for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the strawberries and rhubarb in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and simmer until it melts and forms a syrup. Set it aside.
- Pour the whipping cream into a bowl. Add the vanilla extract and the remaining tablespoon of sugar and beat them with the mixer until the whipping cream thickens.
- Serve each meringue with whipped cream and strawberry sauce.