Ingredients Needed for Apple and Red Cabbage Chicken Soup
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
½ medium celery root, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 cups vegetable stock
2 large potatoes, cubed
10 ounces chicken breast, chopped
⅓ red cabbage, shredded
2 apples, diced
1 tablespoon dill, thinly chopped
How to Make Apple and Red Cabbage Chicken Soup
- Heat the pan over low heat and add the cumin and coriander seeds. Sautee them for 1 minute or so.
- Transfer to a grinding mortar and crush them. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over low heat. Add the onion and carrots and stir them in. Cook and stir for a minute or so.
- Add the celery root and stir it in.
- Add the garlic and the cumin mixture. Cook and stir for 8 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, potatoes, chicken breast, and red cabbage. Stir in and boil for up to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the apples and dill. Stir in and remove from heat.
Is this warming chicken soup for four full of all the goodies? Let’s see. We tossed into the pot potatoes, celery root, red cabbage, carrots, and the ever-healthy garlic and onion. It even has apples in it! We flavored it with cumin, coriander, and dill. So, the answer is ‘yes!’