Almond and Pistachio Rice Pudding
This is kheer from India, a cardamom-flavored, sweet rice pudding. You can toss in there a whole array of goodies. We stopped at almonds and pistachios. Did we mention this is also temple food and can be consumed by the gods, too? So why wait?! Give it a try!
Ingredients Needed for Almond and Pistachio Rice Pudding
⅔ cup basmati rice
1 teaspoon cardamom
⅔ cup sugar
4 cups of milk
1 tablespoon rose water
1 ounce almonds, crumbled (2 tablespoons)
1 ounce pistachios, crumbled (2 tablespoons)
How to Make Almond and Pistachio Rice Pudding
- Fill a medium-sized bowl with 1.5 cups of water and add the basmati rice. Clean it by stirring the rice around the bowl. The water will turn opaque.
- Drain the cleaned rice, fill a medium-sized pot halfway with water, and add the rice. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Add the cardamom and 1 tablespoon of sugar to a grinding mortar and crush them together.
- Add the milk, the crushed cardamom with sugar, and cooked rice to a medium-sized pot over low heat. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining sugar, rose water, 1 tablespoon of crumbled almonds, and 1 tablespoon of crumbled pistachios. Stir and cook until the rice is cooked through, for 10 minutes or more.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with the remaining almonds and pistachios.