½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Slice the watermelon into 1-inch thick slices and discard the caps.
- Carefully remove the seeds and cut 9 discs into the pulp using a 4 to 6-inch round cookie cutter. Set them aside.
- Slice the cantaloupe into approximately 1-inch thick slices and discard the caps.
- Remove the seeds from each slice using a 3-inch round cookie cutter. Cut off the rind. Set them aside.
- Add the whipping cream to a bowl. Whisk until firm using the hand mixer. Add some lemon zest and mix some more. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Place a cantaloupe slice on top of a watermelon one. Fill the empty space in the middle with whipped cream. Add two more layers of watermelon and cantaloupe slices and fill them with whipped cream. Garnish the top edge with whipped cream, if you want. Follow the same steps for the remaining slices and whipped cream. You’ll end up with 3 mini cakes.