Ingredients Needed for Walnut Rolls
1 cup sugar
1 ½ cups of flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon rum essence
1 tablespoon dry yeast
For the butter-sugar mixture:
½ cup sugar
4 ounces of butter
2 ounces of walnut, chopped
How to Cook Walnut Rolls
- Pour 3/4 cup of sugar into a skillet and place it over medium heat. Stir as the sugar caramelizes. Remove from heat when the caramelized sugar turns amber-dark. Set aside.
- Use a larger bowl and a strainer to strain the flour. Add the eggs, salt and rum essence and mix them a little. Set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar in a smaller bowl. Add the active dry yeast and the milk and mix.
- Pour the sugar-milk mixture into the flour mixture. Mix and start kneading the dough until it is elastic and non-sticky.
- Let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Make the butter-sugar mixture: add the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix them using a teaspoon.
- Flour your work surface, place the dough on it and spread it using a rolling pin.
- Cover one side of the dough with the butter-sugar mix and spread the chopped walnuts all over it.
- Roll the dough, then cut it into 8 smaller rolls.
- Preheat the oven to 360⁰ F/180⁰ C.
- Place the rolls in a saucepan, in which you’ve added the previously caramelized sugar, and bake them for 40 minutes.
- Serve them on a platter with powdered sugar sprinkled over them.