The chana masala is extremely easy to concoct. It’s a healthy vegan and gluten-free dish, where the star is Garbanzo beans, better-known as chickpeas. They are a source of protein, carbs, and fiber. They team up very nice with the flavored tomato-based sauce.
Ingredients Needed for Chana Masala
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 medium tomatoes, cubed
2 teaspoons of Kashmiri chili powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 cup canned chickpeas
1 cup water
2 teaspoons of fresh parsley
How to Make Chana Masala
- Add the vegetable oil, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and cumin seeds to a skillet over low heat. Cook and stir them until they flavor the oil.
- Add the onion. Cook and stir until soft. Add the garlic, stir a little, then add the tomatoes. Cook and stir until they start releasing liquid.
- Add the Kashmiri chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, and cumin powder, season with salt, and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the canned chickpeas and water. Stir for 1-2 minutes, then cook until it starts boiling. Remove the bay leaves, add the fresh parsley, and remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with more fresh parsley and onion.