Ingredients Needed for Cheesy Spinach Squares With Pickled Mushrooms
For the spinach-egg mixture:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of sour cream
⅔ cup frozen spinach, thawed
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling:
2 tablespoons of gelatin
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup sour cream
½ cup ricotta, crumbled
4 ounces of pickled mushrooms
2 tablespoons of fresh dill, chopped
How to Make Cheesy Spinach Squares With Pickled Mushrooms
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Place them in different bowls, the egg whites into a large bowl.
- For the spinach-egg mixture:
Season the egg whites with salt and whisk using a hand mixer until you get stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Combine the yolks and olive oil into a bowl. Mix them using a hand mixer. Add the sour cream, spinach, flour, and baking powder. Mix more until even. Finally, add the whisked egg and mix using a spatula.
- Line an 11 x 7 x 2 inch (28 x 18 x 5 cm) baking tray with parchment paper. Transfer the mixture in it, evenly spread it, and bake for 30 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- For the filling:
Add the gelatin and 2 tablespoons of water to a small bowl and mix them. Set aside.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, and ricotta to a bowl. Mix until even. Add the pickled mushrooms and fresh dill. Mix more. Add the gelatin and mix just a little more. Set aside.
- Assemble the squares:
Transfer the baked spinach sheet to the work surface. Cut it lengthwise into 3 equally wide strips.
- Evenly spread 1/2 of the filling mixture over one strip, add on top the second strip, repeat the process, then top with the third strip. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Portion it and, optionally, serve it with tomato wedges, dill, and pine nuts.