Baked French Toast
Have you ever heard of the poor knights of Windsor? If not, you should know that ‘pain perdu’ or ‘French toast’ have the same meaning as the poor knights’. It’s basically eggs and milk-soaked bread and although usually it is fried, we’ve chosen to bake ours. It can be savory or sweet so, we sweetened it with brown sugar and maple syrup.
Ingredients Needed for Baked French Toast
2 cups of milk
1 ½ cups of heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 baguette, sliced
1 ⅓ cups of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of maple syrup
½ cup melted butter
How to Make Baked French Toast
- Add the eggs to a bowl and whisk them.
- Keep adding the milk, whipping cream, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Whisk more until even.
- Add the baguette slices to a baking dish so that they form a continuous layer. Pour the whisked egg mixture over them.
- Seal with plastic foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, maple syrup, and melted butter to a bowl. Whisk them.
- Pour this mixture over the whisked egg-soaked bread. Try to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- Serve garnished with the syrup of your choice and with strawberries.