This decadently creamy matcha cheesecake stands out from other cheesecakes: it’s dairy free and therefore totally vegan-friendly. The vibrant green topping uses matcha green tea powder, and the beautifully rich texture comes from avocados, making this a show-stopping dinner party dessert with lots of added health benefits.
Matcha is made by stone grinding the entire green tea leaf into a fine powder. This process retains all of the amazing goodness found in the plant, and because of this matcha contains 137 times the antioxidants of regular green tea. Matcha also helps to boost energy levels, increase metabolism and improve concentration – who knew you could get all this from a cheesecake!
The matcha in this recipe is from Zen Green Tea, and they source the highest quality powder from sustainable farms in Japan. Find out more about matcha health benefits here.
One delicious recipe for matcha cheesecake
For the base
- ½ cup pistachios or almonds (whichever you prefer)
- 3 medium-sized dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the filling
- 2 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup cashews (soak in water for 2-3 hours, then rinse and drain)
- ¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 ½ teaspoons matcha green tea powder (I use Zen Green Tea)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon matcha for dusting
You’ll need a lined four inch round tin for this recipe.
- Make the base by whizzing up all the base ingredients in a blender until it’s a fine crumb.
- Pour the mixture into your tin and press down firmly so the surface is even. Pop it in the refrigerator to firm up.
- Next on to the filling. Scoop out the flesh from the avocados and throw them in a blender with all the other filling ingredients apart from the coconut oil.
- Once you have a creamy and smooth consistency, add in the coconut oil and give it another whizz for a few more minutes.
- Remove your base from the fridge and pour the filling evenly over the top. Refrigerate again for a further 2-3 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, dust the top with the matcha powder, slice, and enjoy!
Note: it is very important to use high-quality matcha green tea powder in this recipe. You’ll receive many more health benefits, and the taste will be much better as low-quality matcha can sometimes be extremely bitter.