Three-Cheese and Mushroom Polenta
We don’t know how you feel about polenta, but this one, made three types of cheese, is absolutely amazing – not only that the cheese makes the polenta soft and creamy, but it infuses it with a wonderful cheesy taste! And that’s not all: add mushrooms on top for a complete experience!
Ingredients Needed for Three-Cheese and Mushroom Polenta
5 cups of water
1 cup milk
2 ounces of mixed wild dried mushroom
2 ounces of fresh mozzarella
7 ounces of feta cheese
3.5 ounces of low moisture mozzarella
1 ½ cups of cornmeal
3 tablespoons of butter
3 garlic cloves
2 rosemary sprigs
1 spring onion, slices
How to Make Three-Cheese and Mushroom Polenta
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water and put it on the stove, on medium heat.
- Add the milk and salt. Bring the liquid to a simmer.
- Soak the dried mushrooms in warm water to re-hydrate them for 30 minutes.
- Slice the fresh mozzarella, crumble the feta cheese, grate the low moisture mozzarella.
- When the water and milk mixture starts to simmer, add about 1/2 cup (60 grams) of cornmeal gradually, while whisking.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and the cheeses and mix using a wooden spoon, until the cheeses melt and they are well combined with the cornmeal. If the polenta is too thin, add more cornmeal until you reach the desired consistency.
- Melt the remaining butter (1 tablespoon) in a skillet, on stove.
- Press the flat side of the knife against the garlic cloves to crush it just a little.
- Cook the garlic clove in butter, to flavor the fat.
- Squeeze and drain the excess water from the mushrooms and add them to the skillet.
- Add the rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir, then remove the garlic cloves.
- Cook the mushrooms for 3-4 more minutes.
- Serve the hot cheesy polenta with fried mushrooms and spring onion.