Ingredients Needed for Phyllo Pastry Cake With Semolina Cream Filling
For the filling:
½ cup sugar
2 cups of milk
1 cup semolina flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ounce butter
For the phyllo pastry cake:
½ cup melted butter
8 phyllo sheets
¼ cup sugar
For the syrup:
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
lemon zest from one lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon honey
How to Cook Phyllo Pastry Cake With Semolina Cream Filling
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until creamy. Set them aside.
- Heat the milk in a pot over low heat. Continuously stir while gradually adding the semolina, then the vanilla extract.
- Continue to stir and bring the mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat, add butter and stir more until even. Combine with the egg mixture and set aside.
- For the phyllo pastry cake:
Coat a 10 x 5 x 2 inch (24 x 13 x 5 cm) baking dish with melted butter. Line the baking dish with 2 phyllo sheets and coat them with butter. Add the next 2 phyllo sheets and again butter. Continue to add another 2 phyllo sheets and again butter.
- Transfer the semolina pudding into the phyllo-lined baking dish. Add the last 2 phyllo sheets and butter, and flip their margins inside over the semolina pudding.
- Sprinkle the top with the sugar. Bake for 25 minutes at 350⁰F/175⁰C.
- For the syrup:
Add water and sugar to a medium-sized pan. Let them simmer for 5 minutes and then add lemon zest (or lemon peel), cinnamon stick and honey. After your cake is done, add this syrup over it and bake again for 15 minutes.