Ingredients Needed for Pearl Barley Porridge Cake (Barley Koliva)
1 pound pearl barley
8 cups of warm water
¼ cup semolina
1 ½ cups of sugar
2 cups of walnuts, ground
1 teaspoon rum extract
2 teaspoons of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
3 tablespoons of sprinkles
How to Cook Pearl Barley Porridge Cake (Barley Koliva)
- Add the pearl barley and warm water to a bigger pot over medium heat, season with salt and boil for 30 minutes.
- Add the semolina flour and sugar and lower the heat. Cook and stir for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add 1.5 cups of ground walnuts and stir them in.
- Press this mixture into a Springform pan, then transfer this cake to a plate.
- Sprinkle on top the remaining ground walnuts and garnish the cake with cocoa powder and sprinkles.