1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 ounces of portobello mushrooms, sliced
3 ounces of shimeji mushrooms
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
10 fluid ounces of heavy cream
8 ounces of gruyère, grated
2 large red potatoes, thinly sliced
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over low heat and add the Portobello mushrooms. Cook and stir them until tender.
- Add the shimeji mushrooms. Cook and stir for 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in. Remove from heat.
- Melt the butter in a pot over low heat, then add the flour. Cook and continuously stir until smooth.
- Add the heavy cream and 1/2 of the Gruyere cheese. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer 1/3 of the heavy cream mixture to a 10 or 12-inch round baking dish. Tilt it so the mixture covers the whole bottom of the dish.
- Add one layer of sliced red potatoes (use 1/2 of all the slices) and 1/2 of the cooked mushrooms. Pour over them some 1/2 of the remaining heavy cream mixture, then add another layer of red potatoes by using all the remaining slices. Finish with the remaining mushrooms and heavy cream mixture.
- Top with the remaining Gruyere cheese, season with pepper and bake for 1 hour at 380⁰F/190⁰C.