9 ounces of pork mince
9 ounces of ground beef
1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon dried oregano
olive oil for shaping the meatballs
vegetable oil for frying
1 onion, shredded
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 cup canned tomatoes
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup low moisture mozzarella, shredded
2 tablespoons of mascarpone
- Add the ground meat in a large bowl along with 1 egg, breadcrumbs, oregano, and fennel seeds.
- Season with salt, pepper, and give it a good stir.
- Rub your hands with a bit of olive oil and shape the meat mixture into 1.5 inches (4 cm) thick balls.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and fry the meatballs for around 5 minutes. When you’re ready, remove them on a paper towel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bay leaves and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the mozzarella and mascarpone in a small bowl.
- Add the meatballs over the sauce and top with the mozzarella.
- Slide the skillet into the oven and bake it for 25 minutes at 360 degrees F/180 degrees C.