Sure, fish is not the first thing that comes to mind when making muffins but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t expand your horizon. And, this salty snack may be the new hit at your dinner table if you play your cards right. Try giving the muffins a classy look by serving them with a touch of caviar on top.
Ingredients Needed for Fish Muffins
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
7 ounces of nile perch, diced
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
½ teaspoon chili paste
1 teaspoon soy sauce
⅔ cup cornmeal
⅔ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ounce butter, melted
1 spring onion, chopped
½ cup milk
½ cup mozzarella, shredded
½ cup sour cream
4 teaspoons of black caviar
4 teaspoons of red caviar
How to Make Fish Muffins
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the Nile perch dices and season them with salt and pepper. Cook them for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the fish dices in a small bowl. Season them with salt, pepper, and add the chili paste, lemon zest, and soy sauce. Mix and use a fork to mash everything into a smooth paste.
- Place the cornmeal into a large bowl. Sift the flour through a strainer and add the flour. Add the baking powder, eggs, and melted butter.
- Start whisking, and gradually add the mashed fish and pour the butter. Mix it until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Next, grab your cupcake molds. The mixture should be enough for around 8 muffins. Fill the molds with the muffin mixture.
- Slide the filled molds into the oven and bake them for 25 minutes. Don’t turn off the heat, but take them out of the oven. Top them with shredded mozzarella and bake them again, this time for 7 minutes.
- Spread a touch of sour cream on top of them, and serve with a bit of caviar and chives on top.