Ingredients Needed for Cheesy Polenta Medallions with Sausage Stew
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small red onion, minced
8 ounces of sausage meat
7 ounces of butternut squash, cubed
½ cup canned tomatoes
2 cups of water
⅔ cup cornmeal
3 ounces of butter (6 tablespoons)
½ cup parmesan, grated
6 ounces of baby spinach
2 shallots, minced
2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
How to Cook Cheesy Polenta Medallions with Sausage Stew
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over low heat and add the onion. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the sausage meat and turn the heat to medium. Cook and occasionally stir until it browns.
- Add the butternut squash and stir it in. Do the same with the canned tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, add 1/4 cup of water, cover with the lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour 2 – 2.5 cups of water in a medium cooking pot over low heat. Salt it and bring it to a simmer.
- Gradually add the cornmeal while continuously whisking. Cook and whisk for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the polenta to an 11 x 7 x 2 inches (28 x 18 x 5 cm) baking dish and spread it evenly. Let it cool.
- Cut polenta medallions using a 3-inch cookie cutter. We’ve got 6 of them. Place 5 of them in a roomy round baking pan. Cut the 6th one so that it fits right in the middle of them.
- Top each one with 1 tablespoon of butter and bake for 8 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- Remove from oven and top with the sausage-squash stew and grated parmesan. Bake for 10 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- Add the baby spinach, shallot, and balsamic vinegar to a bowl. Season with salt and mix. Serve with polenta rounds.