1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 apple, diced
½ cup dried cranberries
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups of vegetable stock
5 basil leaves, fresh
1 rosemary sprig
7 ounces of butter, room temperature
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
13 pounds of whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
20 bacon slices
7 carrots, peeled
1 white onion, quartered
8 celery stalks
- Stewing the apple and the rice:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet, then add the apple, dried cranberries, and rice.
- Cook and stir until the apple dices start changing color.
- Add 1 – 1 ½ cups of vegetable stock.
- Add the fresh basil and rosemary, stir everything and bring to a boil.
- Keep simmering over medium heat while seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the remaining vegetable stock.
- Cook and stir until reduced.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F / 165 degrees C.
- The butter-parsley mix:
- Add the butter, garlic, and the parsley to a small bowl. Mix until even.
- Stuffing and cooking the turkey:
- Stuff the turkey with the rice and apple mixture and truss its legs.
- Coat with the butter-parsley mix and then cover it entirely in bacon slices.
- Place the turkey on a baking tray inside an oven bag. Also make room inside the bag for the carrots, onion, and celery. Seal the bag.
- Roast the stuffed turkey for 5 hours.