Ingredients Needed for Romanian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
¼ cup white wine vinegar
1 medium-sized cabbage
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of rice
½ cup canned tomatoes
8 ounces of ground beef
8 ounces of pork mince
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
7 ounces of pancetta
1 cup tomato paste
For the polenta:
1 cup cornmeal
4 cups of water
How to Make Romanian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water and bring it to a boil. Add the white wine vinegar, salt, and lemon salt.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the cabbage. Cover with a lid and simmer it for the next 5 minutes. Take out the cabbage when ready.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook it until translucent.
- Add the rice, canned tomatoes, and cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add the minced meat in a large bowl.
- Add the egg, and season with thyme, pepper, allspice, paprika, and tomato paste. Add the cooked onion and season with salt. Mix with a spatula until smooth.
- Peel the cabbage leaves one by one and lay them on a wooden board.
- Fill them with around 1 tablespoon of mixture. Wrap them on the sides, carefully securing the filling.
- After you finish the meat mixture, chop the remaining cabbage leaves and thinly slice the pancetta.
- Lay the cabbage rolls in a large clay pot. Add pancetta, dried dill, and dried thyme in between the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with boiled water and tomato paste. Cover the clay pot.
- Cook the cabbage rolls for the next 2 hours at 380 degrees F/190 degrees C.
- For the polenta:Add the water in a saucepan and heat it over medium heat.
- Bring it to boil and slowly add the cornmeal.
- Vigorously whisk until the mixture thickens for around 5 minutes.
- Serve the cabbage rolls with the polenta and with some topped sour cream.