Ingredients Needed for Rice and Vegetable Stuffed Vine Leaves
½ cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 spring onions, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried dill
¾ cup rice
3 cups of water
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
store-bought vine leaves
1 large lemons, sliced
1 tablespoon mint leaves
1 tablespoon greek yogurt for garnishing
How to Make Rice and Vegetable Stuffed Vine Leaves
- Add 1/2 to 2/3 of the olive oil into a saucepan over low-medium heat. Heat it, then add the onion, spring onion, lemon zest, and garlic. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the dried dill and rice. Cook and stir for up to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add 1.5 cups of water, cover with the lid, turn the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley. Cook an stir for 1 minute more.
- Distribute about 1 tablespoon of rice and veggie mixture on each vine leaf. Wrap and roll. We’ve got 10 of them.
- Line a medium cooking pot with vine leaves then lay 4-5 lemon slices and mint leaves on the bottom.
- Layer the vine leaf rolls, then top them with the remaining slices of lemon and mint leaves. Pour the remaining olive oil. Place an upside-down plate on top and add the remaining water (1.5 cups). Simmer for 2 hours.
- Serve them with Greek yogurt.