The hardest part when making this potato gratin dish is to succeed with your bechamel. But in time you’ll become better and better on making it, because – were telling you for sure! – you’ll will be making this recipe again and again!
Ingredients Needed for Potato Gratin
½ teaspoon butter
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1 ½ cups of milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 ounces of mozzarella, shredded
How to Make Potato Gratin
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees F/170 degrees C.
- Peel the potatoes and put them in cold water to slow down the oxidation process.
- Make the bechamel sauce: heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and start melting the butter. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, until it has a light, golden color.
- Separately, heat the milk in a separate pan, until just about to boil. Then slowly add the hot milk in the butter mixture, whisking continuously until the mixture is very smooth, with no lumps.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, while constantly stirring, and then remove from the heat.
- Season the sauce with salt and nutmeg and leave it aside.
- Slice the potatoes as thin as you can, then put them in cold water. Soaking cut potatoes in cold water before cooking will help to remove some of the starch.
- Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Lay in it a layer of potato slices, sprinkle salt, grate nutmeg, and pour bechamel sauce. Continue with potato, salt, nutmeg, and bechamel until you finish the ingredients. The last layer should be of bechamel.
- Top the dish with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes.