Ingredients Needed for Fried Mackerel and Poached Egg on Toast
2 mackerels fillets, around 3.5 ounces each
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 toast bread
How to Cook Fried Mackerel and Poached Egg on Toast
- Place the mackerel fillets on a wooden board skin-side up.
- Superficially score the skin of the fish.
- Season it with olive oil, salt, and pepper on both sides.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Place the fish in the skillet, skin side up.
- Cook it for 3-4 minutes on each side, turning it only once in the process.
- In a separate skillet, toast the bread slice for 2 minutes per side, until golden and crispy.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and fill it with water.
- Crack the egg and gently pour it in the saucepan.
- Use a spoon and create a gentle whirlpool that will help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
- Cook the egg for about 2 minutes (really soft egg) to 4 minutes (soft to firm one).
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon.
- Now for serving, place the toast bread on a plate. Top it with both of the mackerel fillets, 1 poached egg, and garnish with chives.