For the first layer:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups of milk
For the second layer:
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon rum extract
1 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C.
- Heat a 12 inches (30 cm) diameter saucepan over medium heat and add the sugar. Cook the sugar, until it dissolves and resembles a caramel color liquid.
- Carefully tilt the saucepan off the heat to distribute evenly the caramelized sugar. Leave the saucepan aside.
- In the meantime, crack the eggs and add them in a mixer bowl. Mix them and add the vanilla extract. Slowly pour the milk and keep mixing for about 2 minutes, into a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the melted sugar. Bake it for the next 20 minutes. Remove it from the oven, but don’t turn off the heat.
- For the second layer of cream: separate the egg whites from the yolks. Add the egg whites in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and mix until soft peaks form. Continue mixing and add the yolks, oil, and rum extract. Finally, add the flour, gradually. Gently mix for 2-3 minutes, until you obtain a smooth and silky mixture.
- Pour this mixture over the eggs and vanilla mixture. Slide the saucepan in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Before serving, flip over the pan and slice the cake.