Ingredients Needed for Coq Au Vin
For the chicken legs:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
5 ounces of bacon, chopped
1 ounce butter
2 pounds of bone-in skin-on chicken legs (4 legs 8-ounce each)
¼ cup cognac
1 ½ cups of red wine
½ cup tomato sauce
5 garlic cloves
7 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf, halved
1 cup chicken stock
For the mushrooms:
6 ounces of mushrooms, quartered
1 ounce butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 spring onion, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
How to Make Coq Au Vin
- For the chicken legs:
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook and stir until crispy. Set aside the bacon, but keep the saucepan on the heat.
- Melt the butter in the same pan, turn the heat to high, and add the chicken legs. Cook them on both sides until golden brown.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the cognac and flambe it. Let the flame burn for several seconds, then shake the pan back and forth until the flames subside.
- Add the red wine, bacon, tomato sauce, garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf. Turn the heat to medium and stir them in. Cover with the lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, turn the chicken legs, cover again with the lid, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken legs and set them aside.
- For the mushrooms:
Turn the heat to medium-low, add the mushrooms, cover with the lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Coat the butter with the flour and add it to the pan. Stir it in and remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Add the yellow bell pepper, spring onion, and fresh parsley, season with salt and pepper. Stir them in, then remove from heat.