Ingredients Needed for Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Eggplants
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small onion, diced
5 ounces of chicken breast, chopped
3 small bell peppers, diced (optionally, use 3 different-colored peppers)
⅓ cup tomato sauce
1 cup low moisture mozzarella, grated
6 ounces of shortcrust pastry (cut into 3 discs 4-inch in diam.)
1 spring onion, optionally (for garnishing)
How to Cook Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Eggplants
- Cut each eggplant in half and discard the stem part. Then cut off its lower end and discard it. You are now left with the thicker halves of the eggplants.
- Place them into a baking tray and scoop half of their pulp out. Transfer this pulp to a bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat, then add the scooped out pulp. Stir once or twice and add the garlic. Stir and add the onion.
- Cook and stir for 30 seconds and add the meat. Cook and stir for 1 minute or so. Add the bell peppers and, again, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the tomato sauce, stir for 1 minute, then simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Stuff the scooped eggplants with this mixture, top with the grated Cheddar, and cover with the shortcrust pastry discs.
- Poke holes into the pastry discs and try to decorate their rims with simple incisions, using a fork. Bake for 30 minutes at 400⁰F/200⁰C.