Ingredients Needed for Cheesy Caramelized Onion Chicken Thighs
For the chicken thighs:
1 pound bone-in chicken thighs
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ cup olive oil
For the onion chicken:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 medium onions, chopped
¼ cup cognac
1 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
2 ounces of provolone cheese, sliced (4 slices)
4 ounces of parmesan, grated
How to Cook Cheesy Caramelized Onion Chicken Thighs
- For the chicken thighs:
Place the chicken thighs on the work surface and score them. Season them on both sides with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the chicken thighs. Cook them until golden brown on each side. Set aside.
- For the sauce:
Add the olive oil and butter to an oven-proof skillet over low-medium heat. Melt the butter and add the chopped onions.
- Cook and stir until tender. Add the cognac and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until onion is golden and caramelized.
- Add the beef stock and flour. Cook and stir until reduced.
- Add the cooked chicken thighs and season them with Italian seasoning. Add 1 slice of Provolone cheese over each chicken thigh and top it with grated parmesan.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.