Ingredients Needed for Beef Maznik Pie
For the crust:
1 pound flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 cup warm water
For the filling:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 tablespoon mixed spices
½ cup tomato sauce
How to Cook Beef Maznik Pie
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Melt 2 ounces (55 grams) of butter.
- Place the flour in a large bowl. Add a pinch of salt and the baking powder. Pour the olive oil and water, while gently stirring the flour.
- Spread flour on your working surface (it’s preferably to use a tablecloth – you’ll need it later for wrapping the dough).
- Begin kneading the dough adding a little more flour as it becomes sticky. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until smooth, elastic and firm.
- Shape the dough into a 4 inches (10 cm) roll and then cut it into 6 balls. Level them with a rolling pin until thin.
- Grab a knob of butter in the tip of your fingers and spread it over each round of dough. When you’re done, place them in stacks of 2, with butter on the sides so you can stick them together.
- For making the beef filling, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook it for 2 minutes, until translucent. Add the ground beef. Season with pepper, chili flakes, salt, and mixed spices. Cook the meat for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Add the tomato sauce, reduce the heat, and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Return to the dough. Grab one stack of dough and widen until it is almost transparent.
- Evenly spread 1 tablespoon of melted butter and around 5.5 ounces (150 grams) of the ground beef mixture on the surface of the dough.
- Lift the edges of the tablecloth closest to you and allow the pastry to roll.
- Grab one of the ends and make a swirl with it. Add the swirl in a baking tray.
- Continue with the remaining ingredients, until you have used the other 2 stacks of dough and the filling ingredients. Add the second and the third swirl in the baking tray, trying to shape one big swirl pie.
- Bake the pie for the next 25 minutes.