Fruit and Crouton Warm Salad
For this side-dish prepare your own deliciously crunchy olive oil-flavored croutons. Make it refreshingly sweet by mixing them with veggies and fruits. The juicy apples and dried cranberries really improve this warm salad which you can easily make vegetarian if you want to, by removing the chicken stock.
Ingredients Needed for Fruit and Crouton Warm Salad
3 bread slices, cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 fresh thyme sprigs
2 tablespoons of butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 medium apples, diced
4 fresh sage leaves
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon lemon zest
7 fresh rosemary sprigs
⅓ cup dried cranberries
How to Make Fruit and Crouton Warm Salad
- Transfer the cubed bread to a roomy baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with 1 chopped sprig of thyme, and season with pepper.
- Mix shortly until even using your hands, then roast for 10 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- Heat a skillet over low heat and add the butter. As the butter melts add the onion and stir in.
- Add the celery and stir it in. Add the apples, sage, parsley, and the remaining thyme. Season with salt and pepper and mix all in. Cook until softened.
- Transfer the sauteed veggies to the crouton baking dish. Mix until even using a spatula.
- Add the chicken stock, lemon zest, and 2 rosemary sprigs. Bake for 10 minutes at 340⁰F/170⁰C.
- Remove from oven, add the dried cranberries and the remaining rosemary sprigs, then bake for 5 minutes more at 340⁰F/170⁰C.