3 bread slices, cubed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 fresh thyme sprigs
2 tablespoons of butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 medium apples, diced
4 fresh sage leaves
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon lemon zest
7 fresh rosemary sprigs
⅓ cup dried cranberries
- Transfer the cubed bread to a roomy baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with 1 chopped sprig of thyme, and season with pepper.
- Mix shortly until even using your hands, then roast for 10 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- Heat a skillet over low heat and add the butter. As the butter melts add the onion and stir in.
- Add the celery and stir it in. Add the apples, sage, parsley, and the remaining thyme. Season with salt and pepper and mix all in. Cook until softened.
- Transfer the sauteed veggies to the crouton baking dish. Mix until even using a spatula.
- Add the chicken stock, lemon zest, and 2 rosemary sprigs. Bake for 10 minutes at 340⁰F/170⁰C.
- Remove from oven, add the dried cranberries and the remaining rosemary sprigs, then bake for 5 minutes more at 340⁰F/170⁰C.