Ingredients Needed for Canard a l'Orange
For the veggie and cheese:
1 red bell pepper, thickly julienned
1 yellow bell pepper, thickly julienned
1 celery stick, cut into 4-inch pieces
7 ounces of camembert (1 wheel)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
For the duck breast:
1 pound duck breast
For the orange sauce:
1 ounce butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves
How to Cook Canard a l'Orange
- For the veggie and cheese:
Place the celery and bell pepper pieces side by side on a flat ovenproof plate so that they form a vegetable bed or mat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the camembert wheel on top of them. Season with pepper and chopped thyme. Bake for 15 minutes at 480⁰F/250⁰C.
- For the duck breast:
Place the duck breast on your work surface. Trim the overflowing skin. Score the skin diagonally, then score again across the first cuts so that you get a criss-cross pattern. Season its skin-side with salt and pepper and rub in.
- Place the duck breast skin-side down into a skillet over medium heat. Cook it for 4 minutes on each side, or until it renders fat and gets crispy.
- Turn the duck breast on all its sides using a pair of tongs, so that it cooks completely. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- For the orange sauce:
Halve one orange and cut every slice into halves. Add the orange slices into the pan with duck fat, over low heat. Cook them in the duck breast drippings on both sides until tender. Set them aside.
- Add the butter to the same pan. As it melts, squeeze the remaining 2 oranges and add their juice to the pan. Also, add lemon juice, brown sugar, cloves, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for up to 7-8 minutes, until the sauce reduces.
- Serve the cooked duck breast sliced, on a bed of cooked orange slices, drizzled with some orange sauce, and together with the veggies and melted cheese.