Ingredients Needed for Beef Burgundy
For the meat:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
5 ounces of bacon, chopped
14 ounces of beef, cut into big cuts
For the stew:
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 onion, julienne sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup red wine
3 cups of beef stock
2 garlic cloves
7 fresh thyme sprigs
4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon butter
3 shallots, halved
3 ounces of mushrooms, quartered
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup canned tomatoes
How to Cook Beef Burgundy
- First, cook the meat:
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook and stir until it starts changing color, or for up to 3 minutes.
- Add the beef. Cook and stir until browned, or for up to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Start making the stew:
Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a saucepan over low-medium heat, then add the onion. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the carrot, the cooked meat, and bacon, then sprinkle the flour all over. Cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the red wine, beef stock, garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add 4 thyme sprigs and 2 bay leaves, stir and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat, cover with the lid, and cook on low heat for 2 hours.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a skillet over low heat, then add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil, the shallots, the remaining bay leaves, fresh thyme sprigs, and the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and cook and stir until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add some of the fresh parsley, then transfer the mixture to the saucepan, add the canned tomatoes and stir. Add the remaining parsley, cover with the lid, and cook for another 30 minutes.