Ingredients Needed for Spicy Chicken with Red Bean Stew
1 whole chicken (around 3 pounds)
1 teaspoon dried red chili
10 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
3 cups of water
2 medium onions, sliced
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons of sugar
1 cup canned tomatoes
½ cup sweet corn
½ cup canned red beans
2 teaspoons of lime zest
1 tablespoon lime juice
4 tortillas, cut into wedges
How to Cook Spicy Chicken with Red Bean Stew
- Place the chicken into a roomy baking pan. Add the red chili, garlic cloves, parsley, cinnamon, and cumin.
- Pour the water over it, cover with the lid, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside. Strain the cooking liquid into a bowl. Set this chicken stock aside, too.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a saucepan over low heat and add the onion. Cook and stir until tender and season with salt, pepper, paprika, and sugar, in the process.
- Add the canned tomatoes. Cook and stir until it bubbles.
- Add the chicken stock and stir it in. Cover with the lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the sweet corn and red beans and stir them in. Season with lime zest and lime juice. Cook and stir for 30 seconds, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat. Cook the tortilla wedges until golden brown.
- Carve the chicken and serve it with a bowl of stew and 5 – 6 tortilla wedges.