Ingredients Needed for Beef Casserole With Bacon Weave on Top
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
10 ounces of ground beef
7 potatoes, sliced
2 teaspoons of nutmeg
12 bacon slices
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1 ½ cups of milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
How to Cook Beef Casserole With Bacon Weave on Top
- You can start with the Bechamel sauce.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and start melting the butter. Add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, until it has a light, golden color.
- Separately, heat the milk in a separate pan, until just about to boil. Slowly add the hot milk in the butter mixture, whisking continuously until the mixture is very smooth, with no lumps.
- Cook for 10 more minutes, while constantly stirring, and then remove from the heat.
- Season the sauce with salt and nutmeg and leave it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C.
- Heat a skillet and add vegetable oil. Add in the meat and start cooking it. Season with salt and pepper and cook it for about 6-7 minutes, or until it starts turning brown.
- Cover the base of a baking tray with potato slices. Pour half of your Bechamel sauce, season with nutmeg and add half of the ground beef.
- Add another layer of potatoes, bechamel, nutmeg, and beef.
- Spread plastic foil on a wooden board, and weave the bacon slices.
- Cover the baking tray with the bacon weave and put in the oven for the next hour.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, add shredded mozzarella on top and return it in the oven for 7 minutes.
- Serve warm!