A world without pickled foods would be a world hard to imagine! Can you even picture that? They boost the taste of our plates and enrich our culinary exploits, our health can truly benefit from them, and the fact that almost anything can be pickled reveals a picture of an incredible variety. Still not convinced? …
Search Results for: pickle
Ingredients Needed for Hot and Spicy Lemon Pickle
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
2 teaspoons red peppercorns
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon curry
2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3-4 lemons, cubed
How to Make Hot and Spicy Lemon Pickle
- Heat the olive oil in a smaller pot over low heat.
- Add the mustard seeds. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the peppercorns, paprika, and curry. Cook and continuously stir until reduced.
- Pour the vinegar and bring to a sizzle.
- Add the cubed lemons, stir them in, cover with the lid, and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Transfer to a sealable jar and cover with water.
This recipe comes to us right from Indian cuisine. Follow us and you’ll get instant pickled lemon which you can serve as a sauce or even eat as a side-dish. Usually, Indians add a lot more spices and nothing can stop you to do exactly that. You can preserve this for up to 3-4 months, just to be sure. Just so you know, those spices are really doing their job!
Ingredients Needed for Pickled Green Tomatoes and Watermelon
1 – 1½ liters boiled water
⅔ cup vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
6 green tomatoes
2 carrots, sliced
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 small watermelon
1 red onion, sliced
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
How to Make Pickled Green Tomatoes and Watermelon
- Add the boiled water to a 2-liter measuring cup.
- Stir in the vinegar, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
- Pack a clean 2-liter seal jar with the green tomatoes and the watermelon, interspersed with the sliced carrots, the peppercorns, onion, and mustard seeds.
- Fill the jar with the warm brine and seal it.
- Store for 2 weeks in a cool dark place.
You can pickle just about anything. This time we added a small watermelon into the pickle jar beside the green tomatoes. It’ll wait patiently for you 2 weeks in its sealed jar.
Ingredients Needed for Pickled Green Tomatoes
2 pounds green tomatoes
1 carrot, sliced
1 shallot, sliced
1 horseradish, peeled and lengthwise halved
1-liter warm water
⅔ cup vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon salt
How to Make Pickled Green Tomatoes
- Pack a clean 2-liter seal jar with green tomatoes interspersed with carrot, shallot, and horseradish.
- Add the warm water, vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, mustard seeds, and salt to a big cup. Stir until the sugar and salt melt.
- Fill the jar with this brine and seal.
- Store the jar in a dark and cool place.
Pickled green tomatoes! After storing the jar in a cool dark place and letting Mother Nature do its thing, you’ll have ended up in no more than two weeks with one of the healthiest foods there is.
Ingredients Needed for Potato and Beef Salad With Pickles and Mustard
1 large potato
1 large carrot
1 parsley root
7 ounces canned peas
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
How to Make Potato and Beef Salad With Pickles and Mustard
- Add the potato, carrot, parsley root, and beef to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cover them with water, cover the pan with the lid and boil for 30 minutes.
- Dice the cooked potato and carrot, the beef and pickles and finely slice the parsley root.
- Transfer all to a bowl and add the peas.
- Mix the mustard and oil in a small bowl or a cup, then add them to the bowl.
- Season with salt and mix everything until even.
Although it has some carbs, we think this hearty salad really is worth your time. The secret to it is to cut and chop the root veggies and especially the cooked beef as finely as possible. Mix everything well and you end up with a creamy, tasty, and nutritious dish. In fact, is this a complete meal, or what?
Ingredients Needed for Zucchini and Pickle Burgers
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
2 burger patties
1 tablespoon butter
¼ medium zucchini, sliced
3 fresh chilis
2 burger buns, halved and baked
2 teaspoons of mayonnaise
2 ounces of arugula
2 crispy bacon slices
1 ounce parmesan, cut into flakes
2 teaspoons of ketchup
1 small pickle, lengthwise sliced
1 onion slice
2 tomato slices
How to Make Zucchini and Pickle Burgers
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the burger patties and fry them for 10 minutes on both sides, or until browned. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat and add the zucchini slices. Season with salt and pepper and toss the chilis into the skillet, too. Fry on both sides until softened. Set aside.
- For the first hamburger, spread 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise on its lower half, then add 1 ounce of arugula, 1 patty, zucchini slices, 1 bacon strip, and the parmesan. Top with the ketchup-spread upper half of the bun.
- For the second hamburger, spread 1 teaspoon of ketchup on its lower half, then add 1 ounce of arugula, 1 patty, the sliced pickle, the onion slice, tomato slices, and the last bacon strip. Top with the mayo-spread upper half of the bun.
Don’t you just like the sight of a burger filled to the brim with all sorts of goodies? We do, too. From a pair of decadent tasty burgers, the mayo and ketchup should not be absent. Also, the juicy sour pickles, the ever-delicious crispy bacon, and the refreshing veggies. You can enhance the zucchini by cooking it in butter, first. You can prebake your buns for a crispier effect.
Ingredients Needed for Pickle Soup
2 medium potatoes, cubed
2 medium carrots, diced
4 cups of chicken stock
4 ounces of butter, cubed
1 cup pickles, diced
⅔ cup sour cream
½ cup flour
½ cup water
1 cup pickle juice
How to Make Pickle Soup
- Add the potatoes, carrots, chicken stock, and butter to a pot over low heat and stir in. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper in the process.
- Add the pickles, stir in and boil for 3 minutes. Then cover with the lid and boil covered for 15 minutes.
- Quickly add the sour cream, flour, and water to a smaller bowl. Whisk until even, then add to the boiling pot. Stir in.
- Add the pickle juice, stir it in and again bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
Let the pickles and the pickle juice do their thing with this refreshingly sour soup. Cooking it with butter and tossing sour cream and flour makes it creamy enough for the most of us. However, for all of you, sour cream aficionados out there, you can serve it with one or two more tablespoons of sour cream.
Ingredients Needed for Cheesy Spinach Squares With Pickled Mushrooms
For the spinach-egg mixture:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of sour cream
⅔ cup frozen spinach, thawed
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling:
2 tablespoons of gelatin
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup sour cream
½ cup ricotta, crumbled
4 ounces of pickled mushrooms
2 tablespoons of fresh dill, chopped
How to Make Cheesy Spinach Squares With Pickled Mushrooms
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Place them in different bowls, the egg whites into a large bowl.
- For the spinach-egg mixture:
Season the egg whites with salt and whisk using a hand mixer until you get stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Combine the yolks and olive oil into a bowl. Mix them using a hand mixer. Add the sour cream, spinach, flour, and baking powder. Mix more until even. Finally, add the whisked egg and mix using a spatula.
- Line an 11 x 7 x 2 inch (28 x 18 x 5 cm) baking tray with parchment paper. Transfer the mixture in it, evenly spread it, and bake for 30 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.
- For the filling:
Add the gelatin and 2 tablespoons of water to a small bowl and mix them. Set aside.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, and ricotta to a bowl. Mix until even. Add the pickled mushrooms and fresh dill. Mix more. Add the gelatin and mix just a little more. Set aside.
- Assemble the squares:
Transfer the baked spinach sheet to the work surface. Cut it lengthwise into 3 equally wide strips.
- Evenly spread 1/2 of the filling mixture over one strip, add on top the second strip, repeat the process, then top with the third strip. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Portion it and, optionally, serve it with tomato wedges, dill, and pine nuts.
Share this smoother version of the puff pastry squares with your friends. It’s a cheesy finger-food that may be perfect for a soiree. The filling has sour cream, ricotta, and cream cheese. The pickled mushrooms bring a welcomed tangy touch.
Ingredients Needed for Turkey Sandwich With Pickles, Mustard and Mayo
1 teaspoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard
1 pickled cucumber
1 bread slice
2 lettuce leaves
3.5 ounces of turkey breast, grilled
1 ounce pickled red cabbage
How to Make Turkey Sandwich With Pickles, Mustard and Mayo
- Mix the mayo, mustard, and salt in a small bowl.
- Squeeze the juice out of the lime and mix it in until smooth.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and radish.
- Spread the mustard and mayo mix over the bread slice.
- Top the sandwich with lettuce leaves, grilled turkey, pickled red cabbage, cucumber, and radishes.
- If you want, you can top it with some more mayonnaise!
There’s something special about good sandwiches, because every once in a while, we all crave for them. If you’re lacking inspiration, here is a quick sandwich recipe you can feast upon. It has grilled turkey, mustard, mayo sauce and pickles! Nothing complicated, but overall a very well balanced snack.
Ingredients Needed for Pickled Red Beet Eggs
1 teaspoon peppercorn s, red and black
2 bay leaves, dried
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
10 ounces of baby beetroot, canned
6 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
¼ cup cream cheese
How to Make Pickled Red Beet Eggs
- Fill a large saucepan with water just over half way. Place it on the stove and bring it to a boil. Add the peppercorns, bay leaves, sugar, white wine vinegar, and canned beetroot.
- Sink the hard-boiled eggs in this liquid and let it simmer a few minutes.
- Put the eggs and beetroot in a jar, pour over the hot liquid, cover with a lid and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Halve the red-colored pickled eggs and serve them with sweet beetroot.
- Garnish the beetroot with cream cheese.
No matter the season, you can always make some red pickled eggs with baby beetroot! It’s kind of a classic recipe, but tastes good every time!
Ingredients Needed for Mixed Pickles
2 red ruffled pimientos
½ cauliflower head
2 ounces of horseradish
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
4 cups of water
2 tablespoons of salt
1 teaspoon black pepper corns
How to Make Mixed Pickles
- Slice the watermelon in quarters. Take out the seeds from the pimiento and thinly slice it.
- Thinly slice the carrots and horseradish.
- Grab a 3-liter jar. Fill it with your desired combo of veggies. Press them down and add as many as you can.
- Top with celery leaves and dried dill.
- Heat the water in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the salt, black peppercorns and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly pour water in the jar, carefully so you don’t overfill it. Secure it with lids and leave it for 3-4 weeks in a cold place.
Never made pickles before? Then you really need to try them, because they are healthier than the store-bought varieties, don’t take that much out of your time, and making them can be a fun activity! Plus, you can add exactly the vegetables that you prefer!
Ingredients Needed for Pickled Red Cabbage
1 red cabbage
1 ounce horseradish
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup water
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander powder
How to Make Pickled Red Cabbage
- Thinly slice the horseradish. Slice the radishes in quarters.
- Thinly slice the red cabbage and slice the lemon and lime in quarters.
- Grab a large jar, around 800 ml. Add the red cabbage in the jar, filling around 1/4 of it.
- Add the lime and lemon slices, celery leaves, radish, and horseradish. Fill it with the rest of the red cabbage. Press it down on it and top it with mustard seeds.
- Separately, heat the water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and add salt, peppercorns, and coriander powder. Stir and leave it on heat for 1-2 more minutes. Pour it slowly in the jar, so it doesn’t overfill.
- Secure the jar and keep it for 2-3 weeks in a cold place!
Pickled red cabbage is just perfect for serving into all kinds of sandwiches and burgers. Making it at home is much healthier than buying it from the grocery store, which has all those added preservatives. Try and you won’t buy it again!