Ingredients Needed for Veggie and Egg Tart in a Potato Crust
4 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup milk
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 carrot, sliced
3 ounces of mushroom, chopped
3 ounces of baby spinach
½ cup low moisture mozzarella, shredded
¼ cup heavy cream
How to Make Veggie and Egg Tart in a Potato Crust
- For the potato mash: fill a cooking pot halfway with water and heat it over medium heat. Add the potatoes and the salt. Boil them for 15-20 minutes until fork tender, maybe just a little more to have them extra-tender. Put them into a bowl, add the butter, salt, and the milk and mash them together using a masher until creamy. Set them aside.
- Grease with 1 tablespoon of olive oil a tart pan (8-inch/20 cm in diameter). Add the mashed potatoes to it, and spread them on the bottom and edges of the pan, to shape a crust. Bake the potato crust for 35 minutes to 350⁰F/175⁰C.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the carrots and cook them for about 1 minute, stirring often. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook them until they soften a little, then add the baby spinach. Stir and cook until the spinach wilts. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl. Season them with salt and pepper. Add about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella and the heavy cream. Whisk them all.
- Remove the potato crust from the oven, add the cooked mushroom and spinach mixture, the remaining mozzarella, and the whisked eggs.
- Bake the tart for 40 minutes at 350⁰F/175⁰C.