Ingredients Needed for Vanilla and Berry Tart
For the crust:
1 ½ cups of flour
4 ounces of butter
1 cup sugar
For the tart filling:
½ cup sugar
½ cup flour
1 cup milk
1 vanilla bean
For the egg wash:
2 tablespoons of milk
For the topping:
½ cup strawberry
¼ cup blackberry
½ tablespoon raspberry
How to Make Vanilla and Berry Tart
- For the dough:
Sift the flour into a bigger bowl, add some salt, and the butter. Mix them shortly using the hands.
- Add the sugar, yolk, and eggs. Mix all and knead using the hands until you have a dough. Let it rise for 30 minutes.
- For the tart filling:
Add the eggs to a bowl and beat them using a hand mixer. Add the sugar, in the process, then add the flour and mix more. Set aside.
- Add the milk, vanilla bean, and the egg-sugar-flour mixture to a cooking pot over low heat. Cook and whisk until it starts popping. Remove from heat.
- Spread some flour on the work surface and flatten the dough using a rolling pin. Line a fluted flan tart tin with the dough, remove excess dough and poke holes into the dough using a fork. Cover with parchment paper and fill with raw beans so that the paper takes the form of the dough-lined tin. Bake for 15 minutes at 380⁰F/190⁰C.
- For the egg wash:
Add the eggs and the milk to a smaller bowl and mix them.
- Remove the parchment paper with the raw beans from the tart tin and coat the baked dough with egg wash using a kitchen brush. Bake for 10 minutes at 380⁰F/190⁰C.
- Remove the baked dough from the tin and fill it with the tart filling. Top it with berries.