Ingredients Needed for Upside-Down Apple Cake
1 pound apple
2 ounces of butter
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons of sour cream
1 teaspoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons of flour
How to Cook Upside-Down Apple Cake
- First place the apples on your wooden board, peel them and remove their pit.
- Slice them thinly and place them in a large bowl. Squeeze the juice out of the lemon and pour it over the apples.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat, add half of the butter, and melt it. Add half of the sugar and cinnamon.
- Keep on heat until the mixture thickens, and the sugar melts and caramelizes. The mixture should be dark-colored and thick.
- Preheat the oven to 340°F/170°C.
- Pour the caramel mixture into a 10 inches (25 cm) diameter round cake tray with a removable bottom. Lay the apple slices in the pan, fully covering the bottom.
- Slide the tray into the oven and cook the cake for the next 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, separate the egg yolks from the whites. Mix the egg whites until stiff peaks appear. Leave it aside.
- Grab your food processor and the remaining butter and sugar. Start mixing at low speed and add the egg yolks, sour cream, and meringue. Add maple syrup, lime zest, and flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Mix until you obtain a smooth, silky dough.
- Take the apples out of the oven, but don’t turn off the heat. Pour the dough over the apples and level it with a spatula.
- Slide the tray into the oven again, this time for 40 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven, detach it, flip it over, and your cake is ready.