Ingredients Needed for Turkish Lamb Soup
2 pounds of lamb leg
1 lamb bone
2 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon peppercorns
2 onions, halved
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of butter
¼ cup flour
2 egg yolks
5 ounces of yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon tomato sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
How to Make Turkish Lamb Soup
- Add the lamb leg and lamb bone in a saucepan.
- Add a pinch of salt, garlic, bay leaf, and onion. Pour enough water to cover the lamb.
- Cover with a lid and simmer everything for 2 hours.
- Remove the foam with a slotted spatula. Add the cinnamon stick and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the meat, veggies, and cinnamon stick with the slotted spatula.
- Add 4 more cups of water into the stock. Add lemon peel, salt, and give it a stir. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the lamb meat and simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of butter and melt it.
- Add the flour and whisk vigorously until it gets a pale-yellow color. Gradually add lamb stock, 1 ladle at a time(4 ladles). Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the mixture over the remaining stock.
- Separately, mix the whisked egg yolks with yogurt and lemon juice. Pour it over the stock and incorporate.
- For a final touch, melt the remaining butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add tomato sauce, paprika, and stir well until you obtain a smooth mixture.
- Use this mixture as topping for the soup.