Ingredients Needed for Sweet Indian Pretzels (Jalebi)
1 ½ cups of flour
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup yogurt
1 cup water
½ teaspoon red food coloring
½ cup water
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pistachios, crumbled (for garnishing)
How to Cook Sweet Indian Pretzels (Jalebi)
- Add the flour, cornstarch, butter, and yogurt to the mixer bowl. Start mixing. Gradually add 1/2 cup water and the food coloring in the process. Let it rest overnight.
- Add the remaining water, the lemon juice, and sugar to a pot over low heat. Continuously stir and bring to a boil. Boil until the sugar is melted. Set aside.
- Fill a deep frying pan halfway with vegetable oil and heat it over medium heat.
- Transfer the colored batter to a piping bag. Start forming Jalebis right into the pan. We’ve got 6 of them, but your number will vary depending on how large you make them.
- Deep-fry them until crisp, then transfer them into the sugar syrup pot and let them soak for 2 – 3 minutes. Serve garnished with crumbled pistachios.