Sweet Indian Pretzels (Jalebi)
What seems to be like funny-looking pretzels, is a very popular Indian dessert and snack. You may color the batter however you want, or you may not want to color it at all, but you’ll have to be patient as you let it rest overnight. After deep-frying the spirals, you soak them in lemony sugar syrup and serve garnished with pistachios. You won’t believe your palate.
Ingredients Needed for Sweet Indian Pretzels (Jalebi)
1 ½ cups of flour
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup yogurt
1 cup water
½ teaspoon red food coloring
½ cup water
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pistachios, crumbled (for garnishing)
How to Make Sweet Indian Pretzels (Jalebi)
- Add the flour, cornstarch, butter, and yogurt to the mixer bowl. Start mixing. Gradually add 1/2 cup water and the food coloring in the process. Let it rest overnight.
- Add the remaining water, the lemon juice, and sugar to a pot over low heat. Continuously stir and bring to a boil. Boil until the sugar is melted. Set aside.
- Fill a deep frying pan halfway with vegetable oil and heat it over medium heat.
- Transfer the colored batter to a piping bag. Start forming Jalebis right into the pan. We’ve got 6 of them, but your number will vary depending on how large you make them.
- Deep-fry them until crisp, then transfer them into the sugar syrup pot and let them soak for 2 – 3 minutes. Serve garnished with crumbled pistachios.