Squash, Bacon and Cheese Pizza
We love topping our pizzas with all the delicious ingredients we can think of and always try new culinary combos. Because it’s squash season now, we’ve used it as the main ingredient for this pizza, along with some fried bacon and a light touch of Cheddar and gorgonzola. Needless to say, the pizza turned out fabulous!
Ingredients Needed for Squash, Bacon and Cheese Pizza
1 ½ cups of flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry yeast
½ cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons of honey
8 ounces of butternut squash, small cubes
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 slices of bacon, chopped
2 teaspoons of butter
¼ apple, cubed
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon tomato paste
½ cup cheddar, shredded
1 ounce gorgonzola
How to Make Squash, Bacon and Cheese Pizza
- Add the flour in a large bowl. Add the salt, dry yeast, pour the water, olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Use your hands to mix the ingredients, mixing vigorously, until you obtain a smooth dough.
- Let it rise for 60 minutes.
- Add the squash in a baking dish and drizzle 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over it.
- Slide the dish into the oven and cook the squash for the next 15 minutes at 360 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook it until translucent.
- Add the chopped bacon and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Move the mixture over a paper towel and pat it dry.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the apple and the remaining honey.
- Season with cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, and tomato paste.
- Give it a good stir and add the bacon and onion mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin until you obtain a round shape, approximately 12 inches (30 cm) in diameter. Lay the pizza dough on the parchment paper.
- Top it with the bacon and onion mixture and the diced roasted squash.
- Top the pizza with shredded Cheddar, gorgonzola, and sage.