Ingredients Needed for Spinach and Gruyere Cakes
¾ cup milk
5 ounces of frozen spinach, thawed
1 ounce butter
¼ cup flour
½ cup gruyère, grated
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 yolks, whisked
3 whipped egg whites
1 tablespoon melted butter
⅔ cup parmesan, grated
4 tablespoons of sour cream
How to Cook Spinach and Gruyere Cakes
- Add the milk and spinach to a cooking pot over low heat. Cook and stir until it bubbles. Continuously stir while boiling for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat. Add the flour. Cook and continuously stir until you have a crumbly and even mixture.
- Add the milk and spinach mixture. Cook and continuously whisk until reduced.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add the Gruyere cheese and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and mix until even.
- Add the whisked yolks and mix them in. Add the whisked egg whites and mix more until even.
- Transfer the mixture to ramekins (we needed 4 of them). Place them into a roomy baking dish and fill it halfway with water. Bake for 30 minutes at 350⁰F/175⁰C.
- Coat a baking dish with melted butter. Sprinkle it with some of the grated parmesan (keep 4 tablespoon for later).
- Carefully remove the cooked spinach and milk mixture from the ramekins and place them into the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Discard the aluminum foil and top each cooked spinach cylinder with 1 tablespoon of sour cream and the remaining parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 30 minutes at 340⁰F/170⁰C.
- Optionally, serve with more sour cream on top.