Ingredients Needed for Spanakopita
2 ¼ pounds of flour
½ cup olive oil
1 cup water
8 ounces of butter
1 ½ pounds of baby spinach
8 ounces of feta cheese
1 cup yogurt
How to Cook Spanakopita
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Add the flour in a large bowl. Add a sprinkle of salt and stir in the olive oil and the water to form a dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead it, until smooth, firm and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Add a little more flour as the dough becomes sticky.
- Divide the dough in half. Flour your workspace and roll out the first ball dough into a 16 inch round. Wrap around a rolling pin.
- Grab 1 ounce of butter in the tip of your fingers, and spread it on the bottom of a 16 inches (40 cm) X 14 inches (35 cm) oven tray.
- Carefully unroll the dough. Spread 1 ounce of butter onto its surface.
- First, fold the right side and butter the surface. Then, fold the left side and butter the surface again. Fold the top of the dough to the middle, cover with butter, and then fold the bottom part and top it off with butter. Carefully, roll the dough into a ball. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes and continue with the second ball dough. Let it rest too for 10 minutes.
- For the filling, add the baby spinach into a large bowl. Add the yogurt and eggs. Grab the cheese, break it into small crumbles, and add it into the bowl. Use a spoon and combine all of the ingredients.
- When the dough has finished resting, use a rolling pin and roll it into a very thin sheet, around 16 inch round.
- Melt 2 ounces of butter, and mix it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Spread the first sheet on the bottom of your 16 inches (40 cm) X 14 inches (35 cm) oven tray. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the butter and oil mix.
- Take the spinach filling and spread it evenly all over the dough. Top it with the second sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the butter and oil mix.
- Bake it for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350°F/175°C. Continue baking for 25 more minutes.