Ingredients Needed for Smoked Pork Belly, Eggplant and Polenta Casserole
4 teaspoons of vegetable oil
½ medium eggplant, sliced (12 slices)
7 ounces of smoked pork belly, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10 ounces of canned tomatoes
2 teaspoons of dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups of water
1 cup cornflour
1 ½ cups of feta cheese, crumbled
How to Cook Smoked Pork Belly, Eggplant and Polenta Casserole
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet over low heat and add the eggplant slices. Cook them until softened.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the diced pork belly. Fry and stir until crispy and translucent. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
- Turn the heat to lower and use the same skillet with the pork belly drippings to cook the garlic until golden. Then add the canned tomatoes and stir them for 30 seconds or so.
- Season with salt, dried oregano, dried basil, and dried thyme. Stir them in and cook for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Salt and heat the water in a medium pot over low heat. Gradually add the cornflour while continuously whisking. Whisk and boil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle the remaining vegetable oil into a 10 x 7 x 1.5 inches (25 x 17 x 4 cm) baking dish. Layer 1/2 of the polenta in it, add 6 eggplant slices and cover them with the tomato mixture.
- Add the remaining eggplant slices, layer 1/2 of the feta cheese over them, add some of the fried pork belly dices and, finally top with the remaining polenta, feta cheese, and pork belly. Bake for 15 minutes at 360⁰F/180⁰C.