Ingredients Needed for Shrimp Stew in a Rice Bowl
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, diced
4 ounces of shrimp
2 ounces of mushroom, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1½ tablespoons of cornstarch
¼ cup water
For the rice bowl:
3 ounces of cooked sushi rice
vegetable oil for frying
fresh parsley for garnishing
1 lime wedge
How to Cook Shrimp Stew in a Rice Bowl
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- While stirring and cooking add the mushrooms, carrot, red bell pepper, lemon juice, fish sauce and soy sauce. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the liquid from the pan reduces.
- In the meantime, prepare the cornstarch mixture by adding the cornstarch and water to a small bowl. Mix them. Add it to the skillet and stir a little. Remove from heat, after 1 minute and set it aside.
- Make the rice bowl:
Place the cooked rice on parchment paper, press it with the hand, add a second parchment paper sheet on top and, using a rolling pin, flatten it.
- Remove the top sheet and place the flattened cooked rice into a big strainer by turning the bottom sheet over.
- Fill a cooking pot halfway with vegetable oil and heat it.
- Place the strainer into the cooking pot and fry the flattened rice until it turns yellow or golden brown. The rice will keep the basket-like form of the strainer.
- Remove the strainer from heat and place it on paper towels so that most of the oil can absorb itself.
- Fill the rice bowl with the shrimp stew, garnish with fresh parsley, add lime wedges and serve.