Ingredients Needed for Shepherd's Pie
For the mashed potatoes:
5 medium-sized potatoes, cubed
2 tablespoons of butter
¼ cup milk
For the filling:
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 carrots, sliced
2 red onions, sliced
2 pounds of lamb mince
1 cup beef stock
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
How to Cook Shepherd's Pie
- First, make the mashed potatoes. Fill a cooking pot halfway with water and heat it over low-medium heat. Add the potatoes and the salt. Boil them for 15-20 minutes until fork tender, maybe just a little more to have them extra-tender. Put them into a bowl, add the butter, salt, and the milk and mash them together using a masher until creamy. Set them aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a cast-iron skillet. Add the carrots and onion. Cook until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the lamb mince and cook it until it turns brown. Add the beef stock and let it simmer for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Add the tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cook for a few more minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Top the lamb stew with mashed potatoes, then move to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes at 350˚F/175˚C.