You may have heard about the celebrated dish originating in the Maghreb. If not, you should know that it is definitely worth a try. Although apparently our version of the dish may seem vegetarian to some of you, it is not. In order to make it vegetarian, substitute the normal parmesan with a vegetarian one. You may have heard about that rennet thing they’re using to produce this type of cheese.
Ingredients Needed for Shakshouka
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 chili, sliced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup canned tomatoes
1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon parmesan, grated
feta, grated (for garnishing)
more parsley, finely chopped (for garnishing)
How to Make Shakshouka
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over low heat. Add the onion, chili, and salt to taste. Cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Add the tomato paste and garlic. Season with paprika, cumin, and chili flakes. Stir them in.
- Add the canned tomatoes and parsley. Stir in.
- Crack the eggs directly into the tomato mixture and poach them.
- Top with parmesan, feta, and parsley, season with pepper and serve.