Ingredients Needed for Seared Duck Breast with Caramelized Pear and Cabbage
For the duck breast:
1 pound duck breast
1 garlic clove
2 fresh thyme sprigs
For the cabbage:
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 bacon slices, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
½ medium-sized cabbage, shredded
¼ cup water
½ cup heavy cream
For the pears:
1 ounce butter
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 star anise
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 pear, halved
How to Cook Seared Duck Breast with Caramelized Pear and Cabbage
- Place the duck breast on your wooden board skin-side up. Make a few scores over the skin, in a crisscross pattern. Rub both sides of the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and place the duck breast skin-side down. Add garlic and thyme to the pan. Cook the duck breast for 6 minutes, and then flip it over and continue cooking it for 4 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the chopped bacon. Add the fresh thyme and cabbage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes, and add the water and heavy cream. Cook for 5 minutes, to reduce the extra liquid.
- Next, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the butter in it and melt it. Melt the brown sugar and add the star anises and balsamic vinegar.
- Stir, until the sauce turns dark-brown and small bubbles start appearing on its surface.
- Add the halved pear and sprinkle caramel over it using a teaspoon.
- Thinly slice the duck breast and serve it with the cabbage and caramelized pear.