Ingredients Needed for Sausage and Beef Sun Pie
For the wreath:
flour for dusting
1 pound puff pastry (2 ready-to-bake sheets)
¼ cup tomato sauce
6 ounces of fresh sausage
1 cup low moisture mozzarella, grated
For the ground beef mixture:
8 ounces of ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon bbq sauce
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1 whisked egg
ketchup for garnishing
fresh parsley for garnishing
How to Cook Sausage and Beef Sun Pie
- For the wreath:
Dust the work surface with flour and place 1 sheet of puff pastry on it. Place a 9-inch plate or pan, upside down over the pastry sheet and cut a circular form using a knife. Discard the trimmed parts. Do this for the other puff pastry sheet, too. You’ll end up with 2 identical dough discs.
- Make 8 radial cuts into one of the dough discs. The cuts have to start at the center and stop at approximately 2 inches from the disc’s edge.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the uncut disc on it. Carefully add and fit the cut disc on top of the first.
- Coat the top disc’s edge with the tomato sauce using a brush. Do this for the space between the actual edge and the start of the cuts.
- Fit the sausage on this coated area and cover it with the grated mozzarella.
- Flip the triangles formed when cutting the dough disc, over the mozzarella-covered sausage. Set aside.
- For the ground beef mixture:
Add the ground beef, onion, breadcrumbs, yolk, bbq sauce, milk, nutmeg, and parsley to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix everything until even using your hands.
- Flatten this lump of meat and fit it inside the circular space formed by the dough “rays”.
- Coat the dough “rays” with the whisked egg using a brush. Bake for 45 minutes at 400⁰F/200⁰C.
- Garnish with ketchup and fresh parsley.