Ingredients Needed for Sardines on Toast
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of capers
6 sardine fillets
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
3 toast bread slices
1 tomato, sliced
How to Make Sardines on Toast
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over low heat and add the onion. Cook and stir until tender.
- Add the sugar and stir it in. Add the vinegar and capers. Stir them in, then cook for 7 – 8 minutes.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a grill pan over medium heat and add fillets. Season with salt and pepper and grill for 2 – 3 minutes on both sides.
- Add the mustard and mayonnaise to a small bowl and mix them until even.
- Spread this mixture on each slice of toast, add tomato slices, and the fillets. Top with cooked onion mixture and fresh parsley.