Ingredients Needed for Romanian Cheese Doughnuts (Papanasi)
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound cottage cheese
1 ½ cups of flour
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 pound sour cream
How to Cook Romanian Cheese Doughnuts (Papanasi)
- Add the eggs and sugar in a large bowl. Set up your mixer and mix until the sugar has been absorbed.
- Add the lemon zest, vanilla extract, cream cheese, flour, and lemon juice.
- Mix with a spatula until you obtain a smooth, silky dough.
- Dust your working space with flour.
- Divide the dough into 6 small balls (around 1.5 inches thick), and 6 larger ones (around 3 inches thick).
- Roll the large balls into thick sausages and unite the sausage ends to get a circle with a hole in the middle. Use the small balls to top the empty howls.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep skillet over high heat. Fry the doughnuts for 7-8 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Serve them with sour cream and blackberry jam.