Ingredients Needed for Roasted Squash Filled With Couscous and Chickpeas
1 butternut squash, approximately 3 pounds
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups of vegetable stock
1 cup couscous
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
7 ounces of chickpea, canned
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika powder
2 ounces of dried cranberry
1 ounce baby spinach
2 ounces of feta cheese
1 pistachio, crushed
How to Cook Roasted Squash Filled With Couscous and Chickpeas
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/180°C.
- Place the butternut squash horizontally on your wooden board and slice it vertically into round slices. Remove its seeds to make room for the filling.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and lay the squash slices on it. Drizzle a bit of olive oil and season with salt and chili flakes.
- Roast the squash for the next 25 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetable stock, but keep about 50 ml of liquid for later on.
- Add the couscous and cook until the liquid starts simmer. Remove the skillet from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
- Next heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and chickpeas. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and paprika.
- Add the dried cranberries and pour the remaining vegetable stock. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the couscous in a large bowl and mix it with the chickpea mixture and baby spinach.
- Squeeze the orange juice and mix everything.
- Take the tray out of the oven and fill the squash rings with the couscous and chickpeas mix.
- Top each one with crumbled feta cheese and crushed pistachio.
- Bake it again at the same heat, this time for 15 more minutes.